Monday, December 19, 2005

Starting my new path as Black



It's been a few weeks now since I achieved the rank of Shodan. I'm still trying to get my head around the idea. Whenever Sensei says something like "The black belts will spread out in the dojo.." I still find myself standing there hesitating until I remember that I am also a black belt.

I don't feel any different: the same issues that I was working on before my test are still being worked on now...

I just attended my first high level seminar that was filled wall to wall with black belts. We did two days of kumite training. To my joy, I was able to keep up with the majority of the complicated maneuvers that we were doing. O.K. sometimes I wasn't graceful, or competent with it, but I knew deep down that it was experience that would remedy this. I walked away from that seminar feeling rather happy with myself.

I've become more aware of the little things that I want to improve in my performance... such as my balance, direction of power, etc. I'm glad that I have the rest of my life to work on this.

No comments: