Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bamboo plants, and karate...




"He who would study Karate-Do must always strive to be inwardly humble and outwardly gentle. However, once he has decided to stand up for the cause of justice, then he must have the courage expressed in the saying, "Even if it must be ten million foes, I go!" Thus, he is like the green bamboo stalk: hollow (kara) inside, straight, and with knots, that is, unselfish, gentle, and moderate." - Gichin Funakoshi

( Quote inspired by Linden Huckle's blog The Karate Way )

3 comments:

Mir said...

For a very personal reason I have now related bamboo plants with my previous training in Martial Arts. It was wonderful to find a quote by Sensei Gichin Funakoshi relating the two.

I'd like my former students to know that I send out positive thoughts, and prayers for them each time that I lay my eyes on the plant that they had purchased for me. It's growing tall, and strong.

Sarah said...

I love it. I of course don't understand your personal significance with the quote, but that really sets a good image of the type of karate-ka Funakoshi described - "inwardly humble and outwardly gentle" - exactly.
"Even if it must be ten million foes, I go!"

Mir said...

Thanks Sarah. I wish that I had met Sensei Gichin Funakoshi personally. His words always echo what I desire my Martial Arts training to be.