Sunday, February 04, 2007

Unbalanced muscle groups

I learned something new this week about sports and injuries: I learned that if you work one set of muscles really hard and improve them, but neglect to work the opposite side of the muscle group you will place extra stress on the tendon, and can develop or make yourself prone to injuries. For example, such as training your bicep muscles for punching, but neglecting your inner tricep muscles.. or training your abdomen through lots of sit ups, but neglecting your back muscles.

There has to be balance in training, in kata, in basics, in conditioning, in resting, in eating, etc.. Everything needs to be balanced. For every action there is a reaction. I think that the Yin/ Yang symbol would fit well in this post.

5 comments:

Jill said...

I don't know if you do that in your warm up, but to strenght up your back muscles, we do what master sanseï call back sit ups!
Lay flat on your stomach,lift up your legs andtors/arms, repeat...

Mir said...

Yes.. We've done these types of exercises in my dojo. I've heard them called "superman moves", or "arches" also.

Jill said...

Mireille, you really have original name for your moves!! I'm laughing right now!!

Mir said...

I didn't make up those titles.. they were already there. Yes.. I started laughing when I first heard them also.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you really realize what
you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also discuss with my website =).
We could have a hyperlink change agreement between us

Feel free to surf to my site muscle building